Volunteer With Our Community Rebuild Trips
In April 2015 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Nepal, causing complete destruction of a number of villages and historical sites across Nepal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of people were made homeless, without critical infrastructure.
Although it has been 18 months since the earthquake, there is still plenty of work to be done as part of the rebuilding efforts, especially for the communities that formed remote villages, some of which were hit the hardest by the earthquake.
The Reach For Nepal foundation was formed in September 2015 as a non-profit, registered Charity that works on the ground in Nepal to provide assistance directly to the Nepali people .
As part of the foundation, we run regular trips to Nepal with groups of Australian volunteers to work on a community rebuild project for that group. We generally assist schools in improving their infrastructure.
Why Do a Reach For Nepal Community Rebuild Trip?
The earthquake that struck Nepal in April 2015 devastated many Himalayan villages.
There’s a lot of work to be done in the villages and our volunteers have a large role to play in that work. The schools are being operated in temporary shelters and should be rebuilt soon. If you are looking for some adventure and make a real difference to the lives of the people in rural Nepal, then join us on one of our flagship volunteering programs.
A few reasons to travel with us include:
- you will make a big difference to many lives in the remote Nepali village we visit
- you will learn new things about yourself, new skills and gain valuable volunteer experience
- we are a family operated business
- we are originally from Nepal and have extensive local knowledge
- local guides lead most of our tours from Australia
- we push for sustainable and ethical travel
What Do the Trips Involve?
The village life in Nepal is going to be a hell of an adventure for anyone from Australia. The flora, the fauna, the colour, the simplicity, the people, the culture all come together to create this amazing scene, you will never forget. You will be welcomed and are guaranteed for an enjoyable stay in the village. Our aim is to provide visitors with a true Village Experience, and we have the resources, local knowledge and expertise to make that happen.
You will have an opportunity to work alongside the villagers, teachers, Reach for Nepal staff to make livelihood of the people better and you will be proud of the accomplishment at the end of the stay. You will make friends that will last the lifetime.
Projects that we have worked on to date include:
- building new water tanks for schools
- rebuilding class rooms that were damaged in the earthquake
- building new class rooms where old classrooms are unsalvagable
- improving school infrastructure to prevent wet season disruptions
It isn’t all just work work work on our trips. All of our trips also includes visits to world heritage sites in Kathmandu & couple of days in picturesque Pokhara. The trip includes home stay in a village around the Annapurna Region, assisting in School and experience day to day lives.
How Much & How Long?
Our trips are designed for groups of 6 or more people, making them ideal for school, church or university groups as well as special interest groups i.e. a Yoga group who would like to do some volunteering.
We aim to run a trip for approximately AU$3,900* per person which includes:
- International airfares, domestic airfares and all land transport
- Travel Insurance, Nepal Visa Fee (2 passport photos needed)
- All meals, every day of the trip
- Tracksuit, Uniform, Hoodies for the touring school kids
- 3 Star category hotels in Pokhara/Kathmandu on a twin share basis
- Tea houses/Lodge accommodation during the trek and Camping during the Community Project
- Trek permit and National Park Fee; Farewell dinner with cultural dance
Trips are, on average 2 weeks* in length.
* The total cost and trip length listed above are approximates only and may vary slightly.
When Do the Trips Run?
In 2016, we ran 2 rebuild trips to Nepal. In 2017 we are looking to run 4-5 trips, depending on the overall demand, with quarterly departures. Please reach out to us to find out the exact schedule.
How Can I Find Out More?
Simples. Either fill in the form below, or send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be in touch within a day or two. We look forward to talking with you.